Thursday, September 11, 2008

Vow

We should be able to say
Whatever we must with no consequence
{no consequence}
Whenever I open my mouth
Nothing comes out the way I intend
What you just heard
Is not what I meant

Over and over again
I open my mouth and insert my foot
It's not that I'm trying to wound
It's just that my words are misunderstood
Even when my
Intentions are good

If actions speak louder than words
Then could we ignore what we have heard?
Besides, we'll all hear what we want
Instead of what's said
We're twisting and turning meanings

These words are a one way street
And once they go out
There's no turning back
So why don't I filter my thoughts
And stop blurting out what comes to my head
And better my chance to not offend

I'm taking a vow of silence


I've been listening to this band, Greenwich, a lot lately. It's actually funny because, my best friend from Jr. High, Jared, is the second guy in this band, and I knew that he was musically gifted, but I never knew he was this good. This song, in particular, has stood out to me as of late. I think that this song poses an interesting idea. What if we really lived in a world where we could say whatever we had to without there being any negative consequences? Why is it always so damn hard to bear your heart to someone? There comes a time when I just need to express what is going on in my heart, there comes a time when I need to act on it. What happens when the action you've taken speaks louder than any words you could speak, but they serve no purpose? What happens when your action is pointless and will avail nothing at all? If actions speak louder than words, can we forget what we've heard? The action that I've taken cannot be forgotten, it can't be ignored, and there's a part of me that wishes that I would have just kept my mouth shut... then there's another part of me that knows that I would find no peace until I took the action I did. I don't know, but, after this whole situation has passed, I'll be taking a "vow of silence" toward this person inparticular...

women.

1 comment:

McDiggs said...

truth... truth to the max...