"One thing has suddenly hit me–that nothing counts except love"-Thomas Merton
Nothing counts except love, what a profound statement. This echoes what St. Paul says in his first letter to the Corinthians, "And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." –1 Corinthians 13:2
I guess one could say that the value of our lives is measured not by the clever, intelligent things we say; not by any contribution we've made to the world of science and industry; not by the number of friends we have and not even by the number of people who love us. No, the value of our lives is measured by how much love we give to the people around us. Love is, simply stated, the only reason we exist. Love is this ever-present reality that keeps us breathing, ignites the soul, and gives our hearts a reason to beat. What would happen if one would throw all his cares to the wind and allow himself to be caught up in the ultimately only "real thing" which is love? How would the world change? Love surrounds us, it's more real than tangible fact, more important than any event that may have caused hurt in the past and even more encompassing of us than the very air we breathe. Why are we so afraid? Why do we fight this intrinsic desire deep within us to love and allow ourselves to be loved?
Love is the only thing that matters because, without love, I am... simply nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment