Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Recognized

"It is in the passion of Christ that God has proved to us that He has 'known' us. That He recognized us in our misery. That He has found His lost image in our fallen state and reclaimed it for His own, cleansed in the charity of His Divine Son." -Thomas Merton, Journals

I've once again developed a cold. My nose is stuffy and runny at the same time, a phenomenon I still cannot understand, my eyes are watery, there is a lot of intense sinus pressure, and I feel very fatigued. When I begin to become sick with a cold (which I absolutely hate more than anything in the world) I sometimes slip into praying for God to take the cold away because, "He has no idea what it's like." Merton's quote kicks my butt in that regard tonight. He recognized us in our misery, if this cold isn't misery, I don't know what is. Not only does Christ understand our physical suffering, he understands our spiritual suffering as well. 
In the letter to the Hebrews we read, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way yet without sin." Jesus understands me and my own struggles more than anyone else. He has looked into my soul and seen His lost image in my fallen state. God understood my suffering, even when I felt lost and disconnected from Him these last few months. Even in the garden of Gethsemanie, when He probably felt the furthest from the Father, Christ still trusted and loved. Jesus understands me, the passion upon that cross made him even more in touch with my human weaknesses than even I myself am. He has come, Lent is here, He is calling us all again to come with Him back home. He wishes to restore His image in us so that we may partake more fully in His Divine love. I answer "yes" to His invitation, and I trust radically that He will reclaim His lost image in me and make me whole once again.

No comments: