Monday, February 16, 2009

Movements

"We cannot know all the movements of Christ's grace." -Thomas Merton

"The Lord works in mysterious ways" is an old adage that is thrown around quite often today. Merton's words hint at something incredible that isn't too far off from this saying. In Isaiah 55:8 we read, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways says the Lord." I think sometimes we try to pinpoint God and put Him in this nice, neat little package and we think to ourselves, "I've got this whole 'God' thing figured out," but really, nothing could be further from the truth. We have no idea how God's grace transforms our lives or how what we do may forever change the life of another.
Sometimes when I listen to music I just stop, close my eyes, let the music sink into my soul and take me someplace that only a good song can take me to. I simply get lost in the music. Maybe that's what we need to do in God's grace? Maybe we just need to stop, close our eyes, stop trying to make sense of everything and just let God's grace sink into our souls and take us someplace that only God's grace can take us to. Just allow ourselves to get lost in His grace.
We will never figure out God or what He is doing in us entirely, it simply won't happen, His ways are not our ways. If we simply come and embrace that, if we just drop this notion that God fits neatly in this pristine box that we have set aside for Him, maybe then we can truly experience His grace and not just talk or think about it in some abstract way. Then we can encounter it in its truest sense, through the Incarnation, through our very own human experience.

No comments: