Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Waiting

"But I believe I shall enjoy the Lord's Goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the Lord!" -Psalm 27:13-14

I remember reading once that as human beings we only want what is inferior, but God would give us so much more, if only we believed it. I felt like this psalm really hit on that, it is because we believe that we shall enjoy the Lord's goodness in the land of the living. Even though we believe this, we sometimes still have to wait.
Waiting can be such an awesome thing, it's in waiting that the things we receive take on an extra sweetness to them. Sean McConnell wrote this song called, "Tired of Waiting" and one part of the song that always gets me goes like this:

"So we wait in this vineyard of precious time
Where the Master is all we'll need
He knew when to pick us off the vine
He'll know when to make our colors bleed together
They say all this waiting can only sweeten this heart of mine."

The last couple lines is what always knocks me off my feet. All this waiting can only sweeten this heart of mine. When I do find the one whose colors I'm supposed to bleed with, it'll be that much sweeter. It's comforting to think that this waiting that I am enduring right now is for something better, the fact that this waiting will make me appreciate who the person is for who she is instead of appreciating who she is for the sake that she just is someone I can love. It'll make my love sweeter, more heart-felt, more human. 
It's hard to accept that sometimes because there are days that I just say to God, "Come on now, don't you think I've been hanging here long enough?" But, in this vineyard of precious time, the Master is truly all we need. The waiting is all a part of His incredible plan, the plan which He has for each and every one of us. I need to ever-constantly remind myself of Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope." He knows the best way to prepare our hearts for each other, and in some cases, it's waiting. The most important thing though, is no matter how long we wait, no matter how confusing and frustrating things may seem, we need to always believe in our God's words to us that He does have plans for our welfare, not for woe! Take courage! If you believe and wait, then we will be able to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! How great is our God? Despite all of this, sometimes, I'm tired of waiting...

No comments: