Monday, May 12, 2008

December

This is my December
This is my time of the year
This is my December
This is all so clear
This is my December
This is my snow covered home
This is my December
This is me alone

And I,
Just wish that I didn't feel
Like there was something I missed
And I,
Take back all the things I said
To make you feel like that
And I,
Just wish that I didn't feel
Like there was something I missed
And I,
Take back all the things that I said to you

And I'd give it all away
Just to have somewhere to go to
Give it all away
To have someone to come home to

This is my December
These are my snow covered trees
This is me pretending
This is all I need

And I,
Just wish that I didn't feel
Like there was something I missed
And I,
Take back all the things I said
To make you feel like that
And I,
Just wish that I didn't feel
Like there was something I missed
And I,
Take back all the things that I said to you

And I'd give it all away
Just to have somewhere to go to
Give it all away
To have someone to come home to

This song has a haunting tone to it. If you hear it once, it sucks you in and it holds you suspended in this state of wondering. I think to a certain extent it just cuts the the core of what a lot of people just want, a place to go home to, yes, but even deeper than that someone to come home to. I mean, what is a home? It's more than the four walls that make a room, more than a roof over your head. You can come back to a house, but if the people there are essentially non-existent to you, or if you are essentially non-existent to them, what's even the point?

If you come "home" to a house that is cold and lonely, where you are alienated from the rest of the world around you, it might as well be December, because, the world just seems cold in that circumstance. Ever ounce of us just wants someone to come home to, that is all. St. Anthony of Padua said, "Everyone longs to give themselves completely to someone, to have a deep soul relationship with another." Isn't that the truth? The song has it right when it says, "I'd give it all away just to have someone to come home to." Fame, power, money all if it means absolutely nothing without that someone to come home to. As much as we may try to deny it and fight it, deep down, it's what our souls long for. Yet, here I am, this is my December.

No comments: