Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cinderella

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

I've said for the longest time, "I only want to have boys, I just don't want to have girls when I'm a father, because, I would be that overbearing, ridiculous father that brandishes the shot-gun whenever a boy comes to the house." While the second part is still very much true, I will be that overbearing ridiculous father, I think I may be re-thinking the first part. I turned on the radio today while I was moving my car to keep packing up the last minute things (fun, fun, fun) this song came on. I was automatically caught up in this song and it even choked me up a little bit.

There was one time I was talking with my grandmother and she asked me, "What do you want to have when you're married and have children." This kind of took me off guard, but I responded honestly to my grandmother, "Grandma, I just want boys, I don't want to deal with girls, they'd be too much for me to handle." She just looked over at me and responded, "You would be blessed to have girls." And while at the time I just remained silent and disagreed with my grandmother, something just kinda clicked today. This incredible song by Steven Curtis Chapman just really hit a part of me that I wasn't even aware of...

I just want to have a baby girl. I want to hold her and smile at her and just look into her eyes and just know that someday some boy will be lucky enough to have her, but he will never love her as much as I will. I want to be able to dance with a baby girl and just let her tiny hand wrap itself around my fingers, I want to sing over her, I want to be the father that she will want and need and love more than anything else in the world. I want her to be a daddy's girl. I just want to giggle with her. I want to never pass up on an opportunity to remind her how beautiful she is and tell her how much her daddy loves her... I want it so bad.

No comments: