I'm beginning to write a book on Divine intimacy, more and more when I reflect and look at the world around me and consider all of what God does in the day-to-day, the more I've come to realize the extent to which God pursues us. It's in the smallest things, the little "God winks" that happen unexpectedly. A phone call from an old friend, a beautiful sunset, a moment of clarity or just an overwhelming peace that can't be explained. All of these things, just like a man trying to win the heart of his beloved, showcase how deeply our God yearns to have our hearts.
I stumbled across this song by Snow Patrol the other day and something about it just struck a chord with me. We're so finicky aren't we? There are moments when we're on-fire and passionately throwing ourselves into relationship with God. Then there are these other times that we have lost interest and are apathetic about it all. The entire time, throughout it all, God is putting Himself out there for us, He is seeking us, He wants to win our hearts. He lays Himself down time and time again, hoping for our "yes." The Holy Spirit is romantic, and He is the ultimate lover, He wants to sweep each of us off our feet, if only we'd just let go, just stop thinking, just stop holding back and allow Him to do something incredible in us.
I was talking to a good friend of mine the other night and as we were talking about dating and things of this nature she said to me, "I'm just waiting for someone to come and sweep me off my feet." I can't think of a single woman who doesn't want that. All of us want someone to truly just want us and love us unconditionally. The Lord tries day in and day out constantly to win us. The scriptures are chocked full of this stuff. Consider Isaiah 54:10-12:
Though the mountains leave their place and the hills be shaken, My love shall never leave you nor my covenant of peace be shaken, says the LORD, who has mercy on you. O afflicted one, storm-battered and unconsoled, I lay your pavements in carnelians, and your foundations in sapphires; I will make your battlements of rubies, your gates of carbuncles, and all your walls of precious stones.
God wants us. He's pursuing us furiously, are our eyes open to seeing it? Do we recognize His hand reaching out to us in both the good and the bad? Maybe all He wants from us is a simple word: yes.
God wants us. He's pursuing us furiously, are our eyes open to seeing it? Do we recognize His hand reaching out to us in both the good and the bad? Maybe all He wants from us is a simple word: yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment