Monday, March 12, 2012

Far



My heart runs far from where You intended,
Come after me, please
My heart runs far from where You intended,
Come after me, please

There's this inherent desire that we all yearn for. We want to be wanted, we want to be desired, we want to be loved and sought after. It's funny isn't it? The games we play to prove some imaginary point, some fabricated "test" of true love. We run and hope that someone will be looking for us. Who can blame us? Everyone bears scars, everyone hurts, everyone has been burned in their lives. We run and pretend to not turn around, but in the depths of our souls we simply desire more than anything else that we're being sought after, desired.

I stumbled on this David Crowder song today, after having listened through the album several times, there's just something that today clicked. This hidden drive, this hidden force in our souls is far more potent and powerful than many of us could probably fathom. Where do the wounds come from? Parents? Failed romances? Broken friendships? Interior insecurities? It doesn't matter, because ultimately in one way or another we all do the same thing: run and secretly hope that someone, anyone will be seeking us.

I look at my own life and like everyone else on the face of this planet, I've been broken in one way or another. I wouldn't say that my life has been overbearingly hard, but, crosses, trials and heartache has followed me throughout my existence. I run, I will admit it. When things get hard, when trials come, when life just gets too heavy for me to deal with I will run and try to escape, whether it be to sin, to depression, to a hundred million different avenues. I run to these things, in hope that they will provide something, even if it's just simple numbness, as if any of these empty things can slake the thirst to be desired seated in our hearts. Within the deepest part of my soul, I simply desire this: to be sought after unashamedly.

What I love about this song is that Crowder hits on this underlying point, we wander far from where God intended. I mean, who can blame anyone who wants to run from where He intends us? He always wants what's best for us, even if it means breaking our hearts to make them a little bigger. We look at the pains, the hurts, the sufferings of life and we simply want to run away from them all, but we deeply desire that He'll seeks us, that He'll come after us. You know the craziest thing about our God? He does. We stray, we fail, we run like the wind from these wounds that inhabit the deep recesses of our souls. He meets us in those places, but then He always takes us back, takes us deeper. With every step in the path of perfection, we come to one unwavering reality: heartache is inevitable. We are always, always, led back to the cross. Slowly, painstakingly, suffering makes us more alive because it makes us die to those superficial, passing parts of us. We're insecure, we hurt and we want someone to love us, and He does. His love comes after us, and it unites us to His cross, where he can look over to our pain and say simply in overwhelming understanding, "Me too."

No comments: