"Are you thirsty,
Standing in the rain?" -Paul Alan
The song, "To Bring You Back"' has been on my mind a lot recently. Paul Alan starts off the song with that question and I really think that it is an interesting question to pose to our own human state. The book of Ecclesiastes starts off with a simple, yet bold statement, "Vanity of vanities! All things are vanity!" I really feel like this puts forth our soul's inclination when it sees all that surrounds us. Everything is rain.
The world offers all of these enticing things, yet none of them satisfy. None of them can satisfy, still they are all around us. It's like an intense hurricane of "pleasures" is there, but our souls are still thirsty. There's this void, this emptiness that we all carry around, but, nothing we can do, nothing we can buy can satisfy this hunger, quench this thirst, fill this crevice. We try to though, boy do we try to. Some turn to alcohol, some turn to drugs, some turn to abusive relationships, some even turn to money. I like to refer to this hunger, this emptiness as the "God-shaped hole." This longing, this desire, shouldn't be despised, it shows that we were meant for eternity, because only the Eternal One can satisfy this deep longing. My question to myself is then, am I thirsty drowning in the rain? Yes, I am, and I try to quench this thirst with anything I can think of. With academia, with food, with relationships, all of these different things. All the while, the Lord is whispering, "Whoever drinks the water I give will never thirst." (John 4:14) Come Lord, quench my thirst.
No comments:
Post a Comment